- Wash eggplant and slice into rounds rather than length wise.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place eggplant on a large metal baking tray and brush both sides of the eggplant lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with just a touch of salt.
- Place in oven for 15-25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes.
- Eggplant will get very brown and will need to be flipped so the other side may brown as well.
- Eggplant should be crisp and very brown when done.
- Remove and place on a plate to serve - enjoy!
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
I am currently going through a major food craze with eggplant and it seems like I just can't get enough of this nightshade vegetable. I'm loving their starchy, potato chip like flavor, especially in this baked eggplant chip recipe. This makes a fabulous side dish with a salad or entree, a great snack fresh from the oven, or perfect as a dipper instead of the traditional carb-laden chip or cracker, making it ideal for hummus or guacamole.
Eggplant is very low in calories, coming in at a mere 27 cals per cup, offering 3 grams of fiber and plenty of amino acids which may help to control mood, cravings, depression and regulate sleep patterns. Eggplant is also low in carbohydrates - only 6 grams per cup, which is an important fact considering that if your body doesn't utilize the carbohydrates for energy, it converts the excess carbs to sugar which is stored as fat - yikes! You can read more about sugar and fat in my blog post "Fat Does Not Make You Fat". Compare those eggplant stats with an equal amount of potatoes that contain 133 calories per cup, 30 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber. Kinda makes me want to forgo the mashed potatoes and dive into some delicious eggplant, since for me it definitely does help to scratch that carb itch. So, check out the recipe below and discover an easy, satisfying and delish way to help you keep your calories and carbs in check, get in some essential fiber and help to pacify that nagging chip craving that many of us feel.
Oven Baked Eggplant Chips
1 medium eggplant washed and sliced into 1/8 inch rounds